Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Realizing Dreams: National Geographic and Foster Care?!?

Since the moment I walked across the stage at graduation, and hopped a plane to India, I have been so insanely busy that I haven't taken one moment to process what has been happening in my life, and I definitely haven't had time to blog about it. This is somewhat because I don't allow myself to get emotional about my "career". I want to act like it is all business, but I think I have arrived at a new avenue in my life. I believe that I am going to let myself enjoy the career that I have chosen. There is no reason to have guilt over enjoying your work, and I think from this moment forward, I will share my love for my J.O.B. with the world.

Last night, as I performed my nightly rituals, I had a moment... I suddenly realized that I have achieved my wildest dreams. It is somewhat unbelievable when I think about the path that has led me here, to the place where I have been accepted to grad school, I am working for a CRM firm, and I am preparing for my second trip to India. I am not traveling for holiday; I am traveling on a research visa. What?! Is this true? I just pinched myself to make sure that I wasn't writing in my sleep. Yep. True it is! This time I will wear a title of Crew Chief on a National Geographic sponsored archaeological project, and I will be assisting others as they realize their dreams. I know that every archaeologist reading this just did an eye role at the Nat Geo grant, but today I am going to celebrate. =)

 
 
 
Just last week, an abstract of mine was featured in the annual report of  Foster Care India . This organization is the real deal. They are breaking ground all over the world to change the face of childcare as it exists today. This may not initially sound as important as it truly is, but if anyone reading this has witnessed the pleading eyes of a hungry and parentless child, then you understand what a foster care system could do for those children who exist without family or food on a daily basis. My involvement with this group has been minimal at best, but I rejoice in the opportunity to interact with such phenomenal people as those who have founded this group. I remember, distinctly, saying to my mother and grandmother, as a teenager, "I don't know what it is, but I have a feeling that I have an important job to do in this world". I know this sounds cliché, and I am well aware that we all contribute something significant to our Earth and society, but deep in my gut, I had this feeling that there was a bigger plan for my life than what I had yet experienced. From the moment I saw the faces of the children that Foster Care India is changing the lives of, I couldn't help but remember that moment as a youngster, when I declared that I would do something important with my life. I am not sure if this is where I will land. As much as I would, selfishly, like to put down my landing gear here and work with FCI forever, I don't believe the organization actually needs me, they are in great hands. If I never contribute more than the little abstract that is okay. I have learned that one person can change the world, and if my contribution is meant to be only a minimal one, then I know that I have been given the tools to take on whatever comes my way. With that said, I wish each and every person reading this, will follow Foster Care India's journey as they, quite literally, change the world.

When I sat down to write this post, I didn't have the intention of only writing about FCI, but this is the natural flow of what I had to say so I am going to leave it as is. I hope you all visit FCI's website and facebook page. It is worth a look. It is good soul medicine, and not one of us can deny needing a good dose of this once in a while.

 
This little one has a family. They love him with all their being. Every child deserves this experience.

I think I will sign off by saying, no matter who you are or where you are, your life has a purpose. You are a part of this organic world for a reason. Seek out the journey of greatest importance, not the journey of least resistance. Listen to your heart and walk through cracked doors. The door may not swing open wide without effort put forth by you to complete the action. 

Stepping down from my soapbox...

Happy Holidays to all of my readers!

 

10 comments:

  1. Love you, Jess! So proud to watch you achieve those dreams... you've touched my life just by being in it- I'm glad others get that opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Jess!!! I am so proud of you!!! My eyes are filled with tears of joy for you right now!! From the first moment I met you, I knew that you had a HUGE purpose and now I have been lucky enough to call you one of my very best friends!!! I can't wait to see what more God has for you, and how many more lives you will reach!! LOVE YOU JESS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so proud of you, Jessie, and support you as you work so hard. You are an amazing young person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you will never know what your family's support means to me.

      Delete
  4. I am happy to see the things you have complished thus far. I hope 2013 is as good as 2012 for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, sir. I have heard that you are going to go back to school soon. Congratulations and best wishes!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I am. Part time though. The different programs at the VA and being the stay at home parent is full time.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete